This marks the fourth year the provincial government did not make any increases to Ontario Works (OW) benefit rates. However, the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) benefit rates have increased by 5%.
Families with children will also see a slight change in their monthly Ontario Child Benefit (OCB) amounts due to a small increase linked to the rate of inflation of just under $3 per month or approximately $35 per year.
With the current rate of inflation, and even including the 5% increase to ODSP rates and the small increase to the OCB, social assistance recipients can buy less this year than they could last year.
The rates sheet we release annually includes Basic Needs and Maximum Shelter rates for different family types, as well as the previous year’s rates. The rates sheet also shows the Ontario Child Benefit amounts for people who have children.
In addition, the rates sheet gives some notes about how some rates and benefits work, important information about other benefits available inside OW and ODSP, and links to information about benefits available outside OW and ODSP.
The 2022 rates sheet is available in English (click here for PDF and click here for Word) and in French (click here for PDF and click here for Word.)
You can find previous years’ rates sheets in the Publications section of our website by going to the search box and choosing “Social Assistance Rates” from the drop-down menu called “All Categories”.
With regard to this year’s 5% increase to ODSP, please note:
The 5% increase will also apply to the following rates and benefits:
- services provided by a long-term care home or specialized residence;
- board and lodge rates for singles and families;
- income for sponsored immigrants living with their sponsors;
- the Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD) maximum benefit.
The 5% increase will not apply to:
- the special diet allowance;
- the pregnancy/breast-feeding nutritional allowance;
- the Special Boarder Allowance;
- remote and northern communities’ allowance;
- personal needs payments;
- work-related expenses;
- guide dog benefit;
- employment and training start up assistance.
ODSP rates will be adjusted to inflation beginning July 2023.
Links to information about benefits outside OW / ODSP:
- Ontario Trillium Benefit: https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-trillium-benefit
- Canada Child Benefit: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/canada-child-benefit-overview.html
- Ontario Child Benefit: http://www.children.gov.on.ca/htdocs/English/financialhelp/ocb/index.aspx
- GST/HST credit: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/goods-services-tax-harmonized-sales-tax-gst-hst-credit.html