What is “basic income”? How would a basic income program work? What are Ontario’s plans for its pilot project? What does all of this mean for low-income Ontarians, especially those on social assistance?
ISAC has prepared and compiled a number of resources to help answer these questions.
Basic Income: What is it and what could it mean for people on social assistance?
- Our first webinar on basic income was held on October 26, 2016. More information including a link to the recorded webinar is here: http://incomesecurity.org/public-education/basic-income-what-is-it-and-what-could-it-mean-for-social-assistance/
Basic Income in Ontario: What low-income people, service providers and advocates need to know
- Our second webinar was held on June 15, 2017. More information including a link to the recorded webinar is here: http://incomesecurity.org/public-education/basic-income-new-webinar-june-15/
Ontario’s Basic Income Pilot Project: What will it mean for people on social assistance?
- This publication from April 2017 examines the details around Ontario’s basic income pilot project and provides answers to some commonly-asked questions: http://incomesecurity.org/public-education/ontarios-basic-income-pilot-project-what-will-it-mean-for-people-on-social-assistance/
Basic Income: The Devil’s in the Details
- This short essay examines six important questions for advocates to ask about any basic income program. It was published in October 2016, before the details of the government’s pilot project were known, by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives Ontario Office. You can download this publication in both English and French (as well as the CCPA-Ontario’s compendium publication) here: http://incomesecurity.org/public-education/basic-income-the-devils-in-the-details/
Basic Income Pilot Consultations: Key issues for people on OW and ODSP
- This document was created jointly with the ODSP Action Coalition in early 2017 to give people who participated in the government’s consultations on basic income some background and issues to raise: http://incomesecurity.org/policy-advocacy/basic-income-pilot-consultations-key-issues-for-people-on-ow-and-odsp/.
Submission to the Ontario government’s consultations about basic income
- ISAC’s submission to the government’s basic income pilot consultation, which ended January 31, 2017, is available here: http://incomesecurity.org/policy-advocacy/basic-income-pilot-isac-submission-to-governments-consultations/