Note: This information may now be out of date, as some of the announced changes have since been canceled. For an update, see this fact sheet.
On November 22, 2018, Minister Lisa MacLeod announced a number of proposed changes to the Ontario Works (OW) and Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) system.
We have prepared several backgrounders to help you understand particular proposals and what they could mean for low-income people in Ontario. We also hosted a one-hour webinar to share our analysis of all of the Minister’s proposed changes.
Please share this information widely with people who might be impacted or people who are allies, so they can be better informed and can take action.
- Many questions, few answers and great risk for people with disabilities – ISAC’s initial analysis of the Nov 22 announcement: http://incomesecurity.org/public-education/many-questions-few-answers-and-great-risk-for-people-with-disabilities/
- Webinar: Changes to Social Assistance: What will they mean? – Dec 6, 2018: http://incomesecurity.org/public-education/webinar-changes-to-social-assistance-what-will-they-mean/
- Working while on OW: What Minister MacLeod’s changes to income exemptions would mean – Dec 3, 2018: http://incomesecurity.org/public-education/working-while-on-ow-what-minister-macleods-changes-to-income-deductions-would-mean/
- What changing the ODSP definition of disability would mean – Dec 13, 2018: http://incomesecurity.org/public-education/changing-the-odsp-definition-of-disability/
- What a “Health Spending Account” might mean to people on OW and ODSP – Feb 5, 2019: http://incomesecurity.org/public-education/ow-odsp-what-is-a-health-spending-account-ot-posph-quest-ce-quun-compte-gestion-sante/
- Working while on ODSP: What Changes to ODSP earned income exemptions would mean – (not yet available)
We will share more analysis and actions you can take as more information becomes available.
- ISAC’s Ontario 2019 pre-Budget submissions and speaking notes: http://incomesecurity.org/policy-advocacy/ontario-2019-pre-budget-consultations-have-your-say/
- How to find your Ontario Member of Provincial Parliament (MPP): http://incomesecurity.org/publications/other/How-to-find-your-Ontario-Member-of-Provincial-Parliament.docx
- Meeting with your MPP: http://incomesecurity.org/publications/social-assistance-reform/Meeting-With-Your-MPP.docx
- Myths and Realities of Social Assistance in Ontario: http://incomesecurity.org/publications/social-assistance-general/Myths-and-Realities-of-Social-Assistance-in-Ontario-Sept-2018.docx
- Fast Facts: Poverty and Social Assistance: http://incomesecurity.org/publications/social-assistance-general/Fast-Facts-Poverty-and-Social-Assistance.pdf
- Defend Disability – tools you can use to fight back against the proposed change to the ODSP definition of disability: https://defenddisability.ca/