The provincial government has asked for input into the upcoming 2019 provincial Budget.
There are currently two pre-budget consultation processes that you can plug into:
- The Ontario Legislature’s Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs is conducting hearings across the province and accepting written submissions until 5:00pm on January 29.
- The Minister of Finance is hosting cross-provincial consultations and accepting written submissions (of fewer than 500 words) until February 8.
Our submissions recommend:
- Increasing OW and ODSP rates to reflect the real cost of living
- Not increasing the OW and ODSP earnings clawback from 50% to 75%
- Addressing problems with the proposed new Health Spending Account and Local Discretionary Fund
- Not restricting access to ODSP by changing the program’s definition of disability
- Ensuring sufficient funding for promised wrap-around services in OW and ODSP
- Ending the freeze on the scheduled hiring of 175 Employment Standards Officers
- Funding a comprehensive communications and education plan around employers’ and workers’ Employment Standards rights and responsibilities
- Funding Employment Standards complaints interpretation services for workers whose first language is not English or French
- Reinstating paid Personal Emergency Leave days
- Removing the Employment Standards Act requirement to provide a doctor’s note when sick.
If you want to send your own submission – or want to support our recommendations – you can send an email to either or both consultation processes.
Your submission doesn’t have to be long – even just a few words or a short letter is fine to express your thoughts on how the government should spend money in this upcoming year.
- How to send a submission to the Standing Committee: https://www.ola.org/en/legislative-business/committees/finance-economic-affairs/parliament-42/notice-hearings/2018-nov-29-notice-hearings-standing-committee-finance-economic-affairs
- How to send to the Minister of Finance: https://www.ontario.ca/page/budget-consultations
- Read our submission to the Standing Committee: Budget 2019 - ISAC Submission To Standing Committee On Finance - January 2019
- Read the Hansard transcript of our January 15 presentation to the Standing Committee: https://www.ola.org/en/legislative-business/committees/finance-economic-affairs/parliament-42/transcripts/committee-transcript-2019-jan-15#P1205_308208
- Read our brief submission to the Minister of Finance: Budget 2019 - ISAC Submission To Minister Of Finance - January 2019
- Lire notre « Proposition en vue de la préparation du budget » en français ici : Budget 2019 - ISAC Submission - January 2019 - FRENCH