ISAC made the following five recommendations for the 2022 Federal budget:
Recommendation #1 – Legislate 7 employer-paid sick days under the Canada Labour Code and an additional 14 days of paid sick leave during declared pandemics.
Recommendation #2 – Reform Employment Insurance into a fair and accessible program for all workers by: setting a cross-Canada qualifying rule of 360 hours or 12 weeks for all benefits, and setting benefit floor at $500 per week.
Recommendation #3 – Bring people living with disabilities above the poverty line by expanding Disability Tax Credit eligibility by:
1. expanding the list of mental functions;
2. removing the 90% requirement on the T2201 Disability Tax Credit Certificate;
3. paying medical professionals to complete the T2201 form;
4. making it a refundable tax credit to benefit both the existing and newly eligible, and;
5. extending the DTC to everyone living in Canada, regardless of their immigration status.
Recommendation #4 – Expand Canada Emergency Response Benefit repayment amnesty to all low-income people including the working poor and social assistance recipients.
Recommendation #5 – Extend eligibility of the Canada Child Benefit to everyone who files an income tax return in Canada, regardless of their immigration status.
You can download submission details below (click on the document title to download):